Where an Adventure is a Misadventure

Has anyone else hiked Torry Ridge to Mills Creek in the George Washington National Forest?


Because I have.

Majestic mid-trail pose.

 And it's the first hike I did not enjoy almost every minute of.


 This is what you looks like when you didn't bring a bug net when you really, really should have.

Maybe this is part of growing and learning as a hiker. This was my first backpacking experience where I wasn't in a nicely groomed, well labeled state or national park. This was, hands-down, the rockiest hike I've ever been on.

My ankles hate me right now,
 I had read reviews, so I knew it would be rocky, but reading that a hike is rocky, and then hiking over rocks for miles and miles, are two very different things.

Some of the trail was really nice! Not pictured: Every bug on the planet.
 I ended up hot, tired, and cranky due to the difficult terrain and constant assault of bugs. By the time I made it to the campsite all I wanted was a shower and my own bed. I struggled for about two seconds with the feeling like I was giving up, until I pulled another bug out of my nose. Then I tightened up my hip belt and marched on.

There were about a dozen of these cuties on the trail.

So I'm not sure what the learning point is here. Maybe, "Hiking is hard!" or something to that effect. I still feel like the whole experience was worthwhile, and I saw the most beautiful sunset from the Blue Ridge Parkway which almost made the whole thing worth it. And, of course, because I hiked fifteen miles I now have carte blanche to eat whatever my little hiker heart desires for days.

But next time I read a trail review that says "Rocky", I might just steer clear. At least until I do some ankle exercises.

This is a trail?!?
On a side note, as I stumbled along over hill and dale, I came up with an idea for a comic. "Hiker Rash". I drew this one when I got home (and ate an inappropriate number of cheeseburgers).

Ignore the erase marks. Bear faces are hard.

I have a few other ideas for more, so follow me on www.hikerrash.blogspot.com for more!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aret Baseware Review

My First Adventure

On Ferry Thoughts